If you can't deal with a new message in Yahoo! Mail immediately, you can highlight it so you don't forget to return to it later.
While marking to-do messages unread works, a dedicated, more elegant and generally better way to flag emails for follow-up exists. Message flags are particularly useful in Yahoo! Mail if you use them with Message Views.
Flag a Message for Follow-Up in Yahoo! Mail
To flag an email in Yahoo! Mail:
- Highlight the message in the mailbox or open it in its own tab.
- Press L (think flag).
- Alternatively, click in the flag column to toggle a message's flag status.
To remove the flag from a message, press Shift-L.
Flag a Message for Follow-Up in Yahoo! Mail Classic
To flag a message for follow-up in Yahoo! Mail Classic:
- Make sure the checkbox next to the message you want to flag is selected in a Yahoo! Mail folder.
- You can also select and mark multiple messages at once.
- Click on the Mark button.
- Select Flag for Follow-up from the menu.
You can also flag a message by opening it and clicking the flag in the message's top left corner.
To clear a message flag in Yahoo! Mail, check its box in the folder view and select Clear Flag from the Mark button's menu.
(Updated May 2012)