Do you Yahoo! but no longer want to? Whether you want to delete your Yahoo! Mail account because you move on, because it is an old account you check only very rarely or for any other reason, it is probably easier done than pondered.
What Deleting a Yahoo! Mail Account Will Cost You
If you delete and close your Yahoo! Mail account, you also lose your My Yahoo! settings, your HotJobs profile, your Flick account and photos and other data in services belonging to the Yahoo! empire. If you are paying for any Yahoo! subscription services such as Yahoo! Mail Plus, it is probably best to cancel these first to avoid unexpected payments.
Also be aware that people will still be able to send messages to your closed Yahoo! Mail account for 90 days without getting a delivery error while you cannot log in to your account to see them. So make sure you tell all your friends and contacts when you are about to terminate your Yahoo! Mail account.
Delete Your Yahoo! Mail Account
To delete your Yahoo! Mail or Yahoo! Mail Classic account:
- Visit the Terminating Your Yahoo! Account page.
- Sign in to your Yahoo! Mail account if prompted.
- Type your password under please confirm your identity with your password..
- Click Terminate this Account.
- Wait 90 days for Yahoo! to delete data (such as email messages) associated with your account.
- Data connected to a Yahoo! Finance Premium account will be kept for 3 calendar years; other date may also be kept.
- Note that your user name — and Yahoo! Mail email address — will be available for others to use in the future; they may receive messages meant for you if senders still use your old Yahoo! Mail address.
In the meantime, senders trying to mail your deleted Yahoo! Mail account's address will get back a delivery failure message listing the account does not exist.
(Updated September 2013)