Windows Live Hotmail is Now Outlook.com
Note that Windows Live Hotmail has become Outlook.com; you can still contact Outlook.com support, of course, in a way very similar to how contacting Windows Live Hotmail support worked.
Usually, Windows Live Hotmail just works.
If, alas, it does not—and in particular if you cannot log into your account—the guessing game begins. Better than guessing, you figure, is trying something, so you try Windows Live Hotmail with a different browser and even another computer.
Nothing works and nothing helps. Nothing, except tech support. If your problem does not vanish in a day or so and you cannot resolve it yourself, it's time for Windows Live Hotmail support to tend to the issue.
Contact Windows Live Hotmail Support
To contact Windows Live Hotmail and Hotmail tech support:
Check Windows Live Hotmail's status for current issues.
- Microsoft may already be aware of a problem with Windows Live Hotmail and working on a resolution.
- Go to the Windows Live Hotmail forum on Microsoft Answers.
- Click Sign in in the top right corner if you are not yet signed into Microsoft Answers.
- If you are not logged in to your Windows Live Hotmail account:
- Enter your Windows Live Hotmail address under Windows Live ID:.
- Type your Windows Live Hotmail password under Password:.
- Click Sign in.
- If you cannot sign in to your Windows Live Hotmail account, you can try to recover your password or create a new, temporary, Windows Live account.
- If you have not created a Microsoft Answers profile yet:
- Enter the name you want to appear with your posts in the Windows Live Hotmail forum under Display Name:.
- Type your Windows Live Hotmail address (or another address where you want to receive optional notifications of replies to your question) under Email address:.
- Make sure I accept the Answers Code of Conduct is checkedd after you have read and accepted the code.
- Click Sign Up.
- Click Ask a question.
- Type the headline of your question—ideally a short summary—under Post your question to the community.
- Click Ask.
- Look under Before you post your question... tab to see potentially helpful answers to similar questions.
- Fill in your problem and question under Details:.
- Include as much information as possible. If something comes to mind (a change at your internet service provider's network infrastructure, for example, or a web site that prompted you to install a program) and you think it must be insignificant, do list it.
- Make sure Hotmail, Messenger & SkyDrive is selected under Forum.
- Now make sure Hotmail is selected under Product.
- Pick the most appropriate category under Topic.
- Choose Yes Mobile under Mobile version? if your problem is with Windows Live Hotmail on the road; otherwise, make sure Not Mobile is selected.
- Leave Notify me when someone responds to this question checked to receive notifications at the email address you entered earlier.
- Click Submit.
You can tell official answers by looking at the user name: Windows Live Hotmail representatives have "Forum Moderator" below or "MSFT" or “Windows Live” in the name.
To recover a lost password, you can contact Windows Live Hotmail support using a different form. For general feedback and improvement suggestions, you can use yet another path.
(Updated April 2012)