Fortunately, you can let Gmail know, too, and have it send the boilerplate replies for you. Simple filters can do all that and archive the conversation automatically as well if you like.
Send Canned Replies Automatically in Gmail
To have Gmail reply to certain messages automatically with a canned message:
- Set up the desired message as a template in Gmail.
- Click the Show search options triangle in your Gmail's search field.
- Select and enter the desired filter criteria.
- Click Create filter with this search beneath the criteria.
- Make sure Send canned response: is checked under When a message arrives that matches this search:.
- Select the desired message template from the Choose canned response... drop-down menu.
- If you don't want the conversation to appear in your Gmail Inbox, also check Skip the Inbox (Archive it).
- Of course, you can combine the automatic reply function with other actions, too.
- Click Create filter.
Note that the automatic replies will have a slightly altered address in the From: line. If your Gmail address is "email@example.com", for example, the automatic canned replies will come from "firstname.lastname@example.org".
Replies to that address will arrive at your Gmail account, of course.
(Updated July 2012)