Gmail can be set up to take delivering emails entirely to the background. If you take care not to log out or close your browser until Your message has been sent. appears.
Send Emails in the Background with Gmail
To set up background sending in Gmail:
- Click the gear in your Gmail's top right corner.
- Select Mail settings… from the menu that comes up.
- Go to the Labs tab.
- Make sure Enable is selected for Background Send.
- You can find the Background Send entry by beginning to type "background" under Search for a lab:.
- Click Save Changes.
When sending an email:
- Click Send.
- Make sure you do not log out of Gmail or quit your browser until Sending in the background… disappears and Your message has been sent. appears.
Note that you will still have to wait for attachments to upload; they cannot be uploaded in the background. If Gmail runs into problems delivering a message, you will get a chance to tend to the problem and re-send the email.
(Updated September 2011)