You can grant your computer to a special Gmail new mail checker, of course. You can also tell Gmail to send desktop alerts through your browser, though, as long as Gmail is open somewhere (in a background tab or minimized; it does not matter).
Get New Mail Notifications for Gmail
To get notifications for new emails in Gmail:
- Make sure you use a supported browser. Gmail browser desktop notifications currently work with
- Google Chrome.
- Follow the Settings link in Gmail.
- Go to the General tab.
- Make sure Important mail notifications on or New mail notifications on is selected under Desktop Notifications:.
- Typically, getting notifications only for important messages identified by Priority Inbox is more useful than being alerted to all incoming mail.
- To also get notifications for new chat conversations, make sure Chat notifications on is selected.
- Click Save Changes.
- Reload Gmail.
- Follow the link in Click here to enable desktop notifications for Gmail.
- Click Allow under Allow mail.google.com to show desktop notifications?.