Delete the Message, Keep the Conversation
Sometimes, however, deleting entire conversations in one swoop may not be what you want. What if there's a particular message that is really not worthy of belonging to that conversation? What if Gmail has lumped together a messages that don't go together well, some of them ripe for deletion?
Delete an Individual Email Message in Gmail
To delete just one message (even from a conversation) in Gmail:
- Open the conversation that contains the message you want to delete.
- Expand the desired message if you cannot yet see it.
- Click the down (More) arrow next to the reply button in the message's title bar.
- If you see no Reply and no arrow, click More Options.
- Select Delete this message from the menu that comes up.
(Updated January 2012)