Fortunately, hiding labels is a matter of swift hand flicking in Gmail. You can even hide labels provided by Gmail itself, such as Spam and All Mail.
Hide and Show Labels in Gmail
To hide a label in Gmail:
- Click the label you want to hide.
- Hold the mouse button while dragging the label to the More link beneath the list of visible labels.
- The list may expand and More turn into Less as you do.
- Release the mouse button.
Gmail can also hide labels that do not contain unread messages automatically.
To make a hidden label visible in Gmail:
- Click More below the labels list.
- Now click the desired label, holding down the mouse button.
- Drag the label to the Inbox link under Compose Mail.
- Let go of the mouse button.
Hide Preset Gmail Labels Such as Starred, Drafts, Sent, Trash or Spam
To hide system labels in Gmail:
- Click more under the list of labels in your Gmail Inbox.
- Now click Manage labels.
- Click hide for any label (except Inbox) you do not want to be visible all the time.
(Updated March 2012)