Now, such an email program is great with one account, but much better with many: one for work and one for play, one checked every week and one some ten times per day. Replies and new emails sent from the "work" account should, of course, have the "work" email address in the From: line.
In FastMail, setting up all your addresses (or at least two if your FastMail account is a free one) for sending is easy — and you can even have FastMail use the outgoing mail server recommended (or required) by the email service, just like a desktop email program would.
Send Emails Using All Your Email Accounts from FastMail
To set up an external email account for use in FastMail:
- In FastMail:
- Click your avatar in FastMail's top right corner.
- Select Settings from the menu that has appeared.
- Follow the Advanced settings link.
- In FastMail classic:
- Follow the Settings link in the top FastMail navigation bar.
- Select Personalities under Sending.
- Click Create New Personality.
- Enter a name that lets you recognize the account ("Gmail", perhaps, or "work") under Display name.
- Type the email address used to send emails from the account under Email address.
- To send mail using not FastMail but the account's own SMTP servers (to make sure they are authenticated correctly and arrive at their destination):
- Make sure Advanced: Send email via external SMTP server with SMTP AUTH. Default port is 587 is checked under Send via external SMTP server.
- Type the email account's SMTP server name under External server.
To send through Gmail, for example, enter "smtp.gmail.com".
- If your SMTP server requires a port different from the standard "587", enter it under External port.
- Enter your email user name (typically the full email address or just the part in front of '@') under External username.
- Type your password for the account under External password.
- Click Save personality.
- Send yourself a test message using the new account (see below).
Note that you can set up only three personalities in free FastMail accounts.
If you use an external SMTP server, and an problem prevents your message from being sent, you may not get an error message in FastMail. After setting up an email address using the account's SMTP server, do send yourself a test message.
Send a Message Using an External Account and From: Address in FastMail
To pick a personality (and email account) for a message you are composing in FastMail:
- Click Compose to start a new message in FastMail.
- Pick the desired personality next to your avatar or under From: (in FastMail classic).
- Continue composing your message.
(Updated August 2013)