What about the more distantly related messages, though? You can search for these — and Sparrow offers some help to make the process easy and fast: you do not have to remember email addresses precisely, for example, or know the calendar dates for last week.
Search for Mail in Sparrow
To find emails in Sparrow:
- Open the desired email account in Sparrow.
- Press Command-Alt-F.
- Start typing the word or words you expect to find.
- To look only in Subject: lines, select Subject contains under Subject in the menu that comes up; you can also select a specific subject line.
- To search for mail from a certain contact select their name and email address under People; click From and select To to find mail to the contact.
- See below for more search operators including folders and dates.
- You can combine search criteria (e.g., to find mail FROM a contact with specific words in the SUBJECT); messages will show up if they match all criteria.
Sparrow Search Operators
To narrow search results in Sparrow, you can use the following operators:
Folder or label — Select under Folders
- Start typing any folder or label's name (including "Drafts", "Trash", and "Spam")
Status — Select under Status
- Starred (Flagged)
- Has Attachment (File)
Time — Select under Dates
- Last Year
- Last Month
- Last Week
- This Year
- This Month
- This Week
- Monday, Tuesday,… , Sunday
- January, February,… , December
(Updated December 2011)