You don't have to rummage through all that mail by thumb, search or filter in your email program. You can have Facebook send only the kind of notification and news you would like to receive — or none, of course.
Control the Amount and Kind of Email You Get from Facebook
To quickly turn down the amount of individual emails Facebook sends and get digests of notifications instead (except for important messages such as payment confirmations, which will still be sent, of course) or control the type of individual messages you receive:
- Click the settings gear in your Facebook's top right corner.
- Select Account Settings from the menu.
- Open the Notifications section.
- Click Edit in the Email line under How You Get Notifications.
- Make sure Important notifications about you or activity you've missed or Only notifications about your account, security and privacy is checked under Email.
- To selectively enable a certain type of email from Facebook:
- Click See all ___ if available under You've unsubscribed from emails about:.
- For each notification type to which you want to subscribe:
- Click Turn On.
- To unsubscribe from certain categories of email from Facebook:
- Follow the unsubscription link near the bottom of the next (or, of course, an existing) message in that category you receive.
- Click Close.
Control the Amount of Email You Get from Facebook Using Facebook Mobile
To turn down the amount of email notifications fast in Facebook mobile:
- Select the menu button in Facebook mobile's top left corner.
- Select Account Settings.
- Choose Settings & Privacy from the menu that comes up.
- Select Email under How You Get Notifications.
- Make sure Important notifications about you or activity you've missed or Only notifications about your account, security and privacy is checked under You'll get emails for:.
(Updated May 2013)