By default, Yahoo! Mail provides these messages for download via POP to make sure you're not missing any important mail. Fortunately, you can turn server-side spam filtering on for POP access, too.
Avoid Downloading the Yahoo! Mail Bulk Mail Folder via POP
To make sure Yahoo! Mail does not send you mail recognized as spam when you download using POP:
- Select Options | Mail Options from Yahoo! Mail's toolbar.
- Go to the POP & Forwarding category.
- Click Set up or edit POP & Forwarding.
- Make sure I don't want to receive any messages that Yahoo! SpamGuard thinks are spam. is selected.
- Click Save Changes.
Avoid Downloading the Yahoo! Mail Classic "Bulk Mail" Folder via POP
To avoid downloading the Yahoo! Mail Classic Bulk Mail folder via POP:
- Follow the Mail Options link in Yahoo! Mail.
- Go to POP Options.
- Make sure Download my Bulk Mail Folder as well as my Inbox is not selected.
Take into account that spam will now be kept online in your Yahoo! Mail Bulk Mail folder. It will stay there for at least 30 days and count towards your usage quota. To make sure you're not running out of online disk space, and to make sure you're not missing important mail, review the Bulk Mail folder from time to time.
As an alternative to stopping the download completely, you can mimic the Yahoo! Mail Bulk Mail folder locally with your email client's filtering capabilities.