If you use Yahoo! Mail with your email client and POP access, you certainly have noticed that you're not only reading all your good mail comfortably, but also all the spam—all the spam that usually is filtered to the Spam folder automatically.
By default, Yahoo! Mail provides these messages for download via POP to make sure you're not missing any important mail. Fortunately, you can turn server-side spam filtering on for POP access, too.
Avoid Downloading the Yahoo! Mail Bulk Mail Folder via POP
To make sure Yahoo! Mail does not send you mail recognized as spam when you download using POP:
- Hover the mouse cursor over the gear icon near your Yahoo! Mail's top right corner.
- Select Settings from the menu that has shown.
- Go to the Accounts tab.
- Click Edit next to the desired Yahoo! Mail address under Yahoo account.
- Make sure Don't download spam email is selected under POP
- Click Save.
- Click Save again.
Avoid Downloading the Yahoo! Mail Classic "Bulk Mail" Folder via POP
To avoid downloading the Yahoo! Mail Classic Bulk Mail folder via POP:
- Follow the Mail Options link in Yahoo! Mail.
- Go to POP Options.
- Make sure Download my Bulk Mail Folder as well as my Inbox is not selected.
Take into account that spam will now be kept online in your Yahoo! Mail Spam folder. It will stay there for at least 30 days and count towards your usage quota. To make sure you're not running out of online disk space, and to make sure you're not missing important mail, review the Spam folder from time to time.
As an alternative to stopping the download completely, you can mimic the Yahoo! Mail Spam folder locally with your email client's filtering capabilities.