Fortunately, Outlook can send plain text emails, too. They don't allow you to use custom fonts and such, but at least you can be sure everybody receives them perfectly legible.
Send a Plain Text Message in Outlook
To compose and send an email using but plain text in Outlook:
- Click New Email in Outlook.
- You can also press Ctrl-N, of course.
- Open the FORMAT TEXT ribbon.
- Make sure Plain Text is selected in the Format section.
- If prompted Some of the features in this document aren't supported by plain text e-mail.:
- Note that some formatting and inline or background images will be lost.
- Click Continue.
- Continue composing the message and eventually click Send.
Send a Plain Text Message in Outlook 2000–2007
To send a message in pristine and pure plain text from Outlook 2002–2007:
- Select Actions | New Mail Message Using | Plain Text from the menu in Outlook.
- Create your message as usual.
- Click Send to deliver it.
(Updated May 2014)