Yahoo! Mail on the Web and on Your Desktop
This means you can use your regular email program (Outlook Express, for example, Windows Live Mail, or Mozilla Thunderbird) to receive and send messages with your Yahoo! Mail address in addition to access the account on the web via a browser. IMAP ensures that you can access mail in all your folders in both email program and browser.
Access Your Yahoo! Mail Account with Your Email Program Using IMAP
To access Yahoo! Mail seamlessly in an email program:
- Set up an IMAP account with the following settings:
- Yahoo! Mail IMAP server: imap.mail.yahoo.com
- IMAP port: 993
- IMAP TLS/SSL: yes
- IMAP user name: Your full Yahoo! Mail address
- IMAP password: Your Yahoo! Mail password
- Yahoo! Mail SMTP server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
- SMTP port: 465 (you can try 587 as an alternative)
- SMTP TLS/SSL: yes
- SMTP user name: Your complete Yahoo! Mail address
- SMTP password: Your Yahoo! Mail password
Access Your Yahoo! Mail Plus Account with Your Email Program Using POP
As an alternative to IMAP access, simple downloading for new messages is also available for Yahoo! Mail using POP.
Access a Yahoo! Mail Account in Your Email Program Using Alternative Interfaces
If you don't want to or can't use the official POP and IMAP access provided by Yahoo!, YPOPs! can be an alternative, set up easily in Outlook Express, for example, as can be using IzyMail, on any platform and just about any email program.
(Updated November 2013)