The Bottom Line
Correcting the filter's errors could be a tad easier, though.
- SpamExperts Desktop filters spam with solid accuracy
- Integrating right into the email retrieval process, SpamExperts works without any configuration
- Both POP and IMAP accounts are supported seamlessly
- SpamExperts Desktop is a tad slow to process and filter incoming mail
- Re-classifying mail could be easier by direct integration in email programs
- SpamExperts Desktop cannot sort by spam score
- SpamExperts Desktop filters spam in POP and IMAP accounts.
- Plugging into the mail retrieval process, SpamExperts Desktop works with any email program.
- SpamExperts Desktop combines Bayesian statistics with a central database of thus identified spam.
- Additional local black and white lists of senders can override other filtering.
- Spam detected by SpamExperts Desktop can be quarantined or marked for filtering in the email program.
- Misclassifications are corrected in SpamExperts Desktop by drag-and-drop or context menus.
- SpamExperts Desktop can periodically retrieve and filter mail.
- SpamExperts Desktop supports Windows 2000/3/XP/Vista.
Guide Review - SpamExperts Desktop 1.2 - Free Spam Filter
Upon installation (and rebooting), SpamExperts Desktop starts filtering incoming messages without any additional action and no matter which email program you use. Relying on both a system of fingerprints that compares your mail with spam already detected elsewhere and local Bayesian filtering, SpamExperts Desktop identifies spam with solid precision, at least after some training. This, again, is good news.
On the negative side we note that SpamExperts Desktop can slow down retrieving new messages a bit if you have it filter on the fly and mark junk mail in the subject. If you set SpamExperts Desktop to hold spam in its own cache and not even show it to your email program, SpamExperts Desktop does the downloading and filtering in the background. You may have to check for mail twice in your email program to get it all, though.
Fortunately (good news!), SpamExperts Desktop can be set to retrieve new mail automatically in the background. Of course, you can also make your email program check on a schedule. Mail SpamExperts Desktop recognizes as spam or is unsure about is quarantined and can be categorized manually.
Spam that slipped through SpamExperts Desktop's filters can be marked junk, too, but either action could be made easier by direct integration into email programs. With IMAP accounts, SpamExperts Desktop seemed a bit finicky.