Thankfully, Windows Mail's Windows Contacts can export to a file format called CSV (comma-separated values), from which most other email programs and email services can import your contacts in turn.
Export Contacts and Email Addresses from Windows Mail
To save your Windows Mail contacts to a CSV file (from which you can import them into many another email program or email service):
- Select Tools | Windows Contacts... from the menu in Windows Mail.
- Click Export in the toolbar.
- Make sure CSV (Comma Separated Values) is highlighted.
- Click Export.
- Now click Browse....
- Pick a folder to save the exported contacts.
- Type the desired name (say "Windows Mail contacts") under File name:.
- Click Save.
- Now click Next >.
- Make sure all address book fields you want included are checked.
- Note that Windows Mail does not export first and last names separately, even though there are First Name and Last Name fields. Do choose Name instead.
- Click Finish.
- Now click OK.
- Click Close.