Other than mere convenience, making Windows Mail your default Windows email program can solve a number of mysterious problems. Fortunately, it is a relatively easy thing to do.
Make Windows Mail Your Default Windows Email Program
To make sure Windows Mail is your default email program and picks up all requests to send and read mail:
- Press Windows-R.
- Type "winmail /reg" (excluding the quotation marks).
- If you get an error message that says 'winmail' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file., try tying (or pasting) '"C:\Program Files\Windows Mail\WinMail" /reg' (including the inner, double quotation marks but not the outer, single ones).
- Click OK.
- Nothing will appear on screen. Do not be alarmed. Wait for ten seconds or so to make sure the process has finished.
- Select Control Panel from the Start menu.
- Go to Programs.
- Click Set your default programs.
- Highlight Windows Mail under Programs.
- Click Set this program as default.
- Click OK.
Windows Mail is Not in the Default Programs List
If Windows Mail does not appear as a choice under Programs when setting Windows Vista default programs, you can try recreating the necessary settings in the registry.