Of course not.
Fortunately, adding POP accounts is easy, and Windows Live Hotmail will download current and future messages automatically, sorted to a special Inbox if you like.
Access POP Email Accounts in Windows Live Hotmail
To have Windows Live Hotmail retrieve new messages from an external POP email account:
- Select your email account from the list or follow the generic instructions below:
- Select Options | More Options in your Windows Live Hotmail Inbox.
- Follow the Send and receive mail from other e-mail accounts link under Manage your account.
- Click Add an e-mail account under You can receive mail from these accounts.
- Enter your email address under E-mail address:.
- Type your email account password under Password:.
- Click Next to try your luck.
- If Windows Live Hotmail does not get the settings right automatically:
- Check the user name under POP3 user name: (might require the domain name),
- the password under Password:,
- the server name under Incoming mail server: (might be "pop3.example.com" instead of "pop.example.com", for instance),
- the server port number under Port: (could well be 110) and
- whether your server requires a secure SSL connection under This server requires a secure connection (SSL) all match your email account settings.
- Click Next.
- Have mail from the new account go either to your default Inbox, a different existing or a new folder under When mail is sent to email@example.com, where do you want it to go? .
- Pick an unread icon under How would you like unread messages for firstname.lastname@example.org to appear?.
- Click Save.
Windows Live Hotmail will automatically set up the email address for sending, too.
To have Windows Live Hotmail delete messages from the POP server as it retrieves them:
- Select Options | More Options.
- Click Send and receive mail from other e-mail accounts link under Manage your account.
- Now click Edit next to the desired account under You can receive mail from these accounts.
- Make sure Leave a copy of my messages on the server is not checked.
- Click Next.