The Bottom Line
- Signature Switch toggles and switches signatures easily in Mozilla Thunderbird
- Signatures can have a randomized part (e.g. a quotation), and recipients can trigger special sigs
- Each signature can have its own keyboard shortcut in Signature Switch
- Signature Switch does not work if you write your message (including the signature) above quoted text
- Signatures cannot be edited right in Signature Switch, random signatures could be easier to create
- Signature Switch lets you toggle and change signatures while composing mail in Mozilla Thunderbird.
- A toolbar button, menu, context menu and keyboard shortcuts can be used to operate Signature Switch.
- Each signature can be assigned a special keyboard shortcut.
- Signature Switch can choose signatures automatically based on the message's recipients.
- You can construct signatures from a fixed and a random part (drawn from quotations, for example).
- Signature Switch signatures can have both plain text and HTML parts.
- Output from programs and shell scripts can be inserted in signatures.
- Signature Switch supports Mozilla Thunderbird 1.x/2.x.
Guide Review - Signature Switch 1.6 - Mozilla Thunderbird Extension
Sometimes, however, you may want no signature at all, or a special signature for a certain recipient. Maybe you'd like your email sig to contain a random quotation or a shell script's output.
All of these cases are handled beautifully by Signature Switch, a helpful extension to Mozilla Thunderbird. With a single keyboard shortcut or click in the toolbar, you can toggle the signature on or off when composing a message. Using the toolbar button's menu, you can then select a special signature, or you assign a different key to it.
If you construct your signatures in a special way, Signature Switch can combine fixed parts with random quotations or tag lines when the signature is used.
Unfortunately, both this and creating signatures in general involves a bit of fiddling with a text editor. Signature Switch could make good use of Thunderbird's editing skills by including a signature editor.
It's a pity Signature Switch uses the signature delimiter to recognize the signature text and refuses to work if you want to place both your answer and your signature above quoted text in replies.