All the more annoying when Windows does not respect your choice and keeps bringing up a different email program (like Outlook) when, say, you click on an email address in your browser to send a message. Fortunately, you can tell Windows that you really prefer Outlook Express.
Make Outlook Express Your Default Windows Email Program
To ensure Outlook Express is Windows's default program for all things email:
- Make sure Outlook Express is not running.
- Select Run... from the Start menu.
- Type "msimn /reg" (excluding the quotation marks).
- Hit Enter.
- Wait for, say, ten seconds for the process to finish. Nothing will appear on screen. Do not let that disturb you.
- Launch Outlook Express.
- Select Tools | Options... from the menu.
- Go to the General tab.
- Click Make Default under Default Messaging Programs.
- Click OK