Since Outlook Express is a very capable IMAP email client, it can be your very capable AOL email client, too. You get to use all the comfort, power and stationery of Outlook Express while keeping your AOL email address.
Access an AOL Email Account with Outlook Express
To access an AOL email account with Outlook Express:
- Select Tools | Accounts... from the menu in Outlook Express.
- Click Add.
- Choose Mail....
- Enter your name.
- Click Next.
- Enter your AOL email address (your AOL screen name plus "@aol.com", e.g. "email@example.com").
- Click Next again.
- Make sure IMAP is selected under My incoming mail server is a __ server.
- Type "imap.aol.com" in the Incoming mail (POP3 or IMAP) server: field.
- Enter "smtp.aol.com" under Outgoing mail (SMTP) server:.
- Click Next >.
- Type your AOL screen name under Account name:.
- Enter your AOL screen name's password in the Password: field.
- Click Next > again.
- Click Finish.
- Highlight imap.aol.com in the Internet Accounts window.
- Click Properties.
- Go to the Servers tab.
- Make sure My server requires authentication is checked under Outgoing Mail Server.
- Now go to the Advanced tab.
- Enter "587" under Server Port Numbers for Outgoing mail (SMTP):.
- Finally, go to the IMAP tab.
- Make sure Store special folders on IMAP server is not checked.
- Click OK.
- Click Close in the Internet Accounts window.
- Now, select Yes to download the AOL folders list in Outlook Express.
- Click OK.