Fortunately, the new possibilities of modern displays and operating systems bring with them — possibilities. While the default may not be perfect for your eyes, it's easy to change the display font in Windows Mail or Outlook Express to something bigger, thus better.
Read Mail in a Larger Font in Windows Mail or Outlook Express
To read a message in a larger font in Windows Mail or Outlook Express:
- Select View | Text Size from the menu.
- Choose your preferred font size.
An Even Faster Way to Larger Fonts
As a swift alternative, move the mouse cursor over an open message or the preview pane, hold down the Ctrl key and scroll down with the mouse wheel. To decrease the font size, scroll up.
With a little more tweaking, you can also print your emails in a larger font in Windows Mail and Outlook Express.
Read All Mail in a Larger Font in Outlook Express
To have Outlook Express display all messages in plain text and a reasonably large font:
- Make sure Outlook Express is set up to use only plain text.
- Select Tools | Options… from the menu in Outlook Express.
- Go to the Read tab.
- Click Fonts… under Fonts.
- Make sure Largest (or, of course, a different size) is selected under Font size:.
- Click OK.
- Now click OK again.
(Updated April 2012)