Use Your Mail Server as a Backup — Smartly
Unfortunately, over time, lots of mail will accumulate at the server and eventually make it impossible to receive any new messages.
Fortunately, Outlook Express can remove messages after several days automatically, thus combining the advantages of mail at the server with a minimized risk of the server getting clogged up.
Keep Mail at Server Several Days with Windows Mail or Outlook Express
To delete mail from the server only after several days with Windows Mail or Outlook Express:
- Select Tools | Accounts... from the menu in Windows Mail or Outlook Express.
- Highlight the desired email account.
- Click Properties.
- Go to the Advanced tab.
- Make sure Leave a copy of messages on server is selected.
- Now also check Remove from server after __ day(s).
- Specify how long you want messages to be kept at the server.
- Taking into account how much mail you normally get, something between 3 and 10 days is useful.
- Click OK.
- Click Close.