The Bottom Line
- Copernic Desktop Search lets you find emails and files on your computer fast
- Can index Outlook messages in real time as they arrive and go out
- Copernic Desktop Search is easy to use
- Copernic Desktop Search does not analyze relationships between emails, emails and contacts and files
- Only works (but barely integrates) with Outlook and Outlook Express
- Copernic Desktop Search does not index instant messaging conversations
- Copernic Desktop Search finds emails, attachments, contacts, files, web sites and more.
- Messages in Outlook Express are periodically indexed while mail in Outlook is scanned on the fly.
- Copernic Desktop Search gives you a preview of results and lets you forward or reply directly.
- You can search by keyword, subject, sender, recipients, importance, date and folder.
- Copernic Desktop Search is available from the Windows task bar.
- Copernic Desktop Search supports Windows 98/ME/2000/3/XP and Outlook Express 5+ or Outlook 2000+.
Guide Review - Copernic Desktop Search 1.2 - Email Search Tool
Next to making web-search-like finding available for all your files, videos, music and what not on your desktop computer, Copernic Desktop Search also indexes emails in Outlook and Outlook Express. The email search options in Copernic Desktop Search could be more flexible and fine-grained, but are generally okay and usable, and Copernic Desktop Search returns results really, really fast.
You can preview messages in their full glory (with little protection for privacy and security it seems, though) or open them in Outlook or Outlook Express. Direct links to forward and reply are also present, but that's about all the integration with email clients you get in Copernic Desktop Search.
Naturally, support for more email programs and instant messaging apps would be nice. And while Copernic Desktop Search is an avid searcher, it lacks a sense of context and relationships. It does not see email threads, does not connect contacts with their emails or files with their author's emails.
Still, the fast index-based search of Copernic Desktop Search is clearly a step in the right direction.