But this is only after I have moved the message store to a "server" computer that is periodically and automatically backed up properly. You need not move your Opera message store to a remote server, of course. You can also move it to a different disk or not at all. But you know how to do it and where to find your Opera messages.
Change the Location of the Opera Mail Storage Directory
To change the location of the Opera mail storage directory:
- Select Help | About Opera from the menu in Opera.
- Highlight the string under Preferences with the mouse.
- The highlighted path should end with "opera6.ini".
- If you use Windows:
- Press Ctrl-C.
- Select Run... from the Start menu.
- Press Ctrl-V.
- Hit Return.
- If you do not use Windows or if the previous steps did not open the opera6.ini file in a text editor:
- Launch a plain text editor such as TextEdit, Vim or Notepad.
- Open the file whose path you just highlighted in Opera.
- Exit Opera.
- Go to the [Mail] section.
- If you want to move your Opera mail directory:
- Highlight the path following Mail Root Directory=.
- Open the folder in a directory browser.
- Move it to the desired directory.
- Enter the desired local or network folder for keeping your mail under Mail Root Directory=.
- If you have your Opera mail on a remote server under the network share operamail, the line could look like "Mail Root Directory=\\kozulion\operamail", for example.
- Save the "opera6.ini" file.