It's nice to get mail, of course. Some mail, though, is less welcome than other messages: that one person that does nothing but forward, for example. You've never received one personal email from them, and you're not likely to see anything interesting in the future either.
Fortunately, you don't have to look at future messages from that sender. You can have Opera treat them as spam instead, or just mark them read automatically — so the emails do not show up in your Unread collection.
Block a Sender in Opera
To add a sender to the Opera spam filter so their mail is separated from all the good messages thoroughly:
- Click on Spam under ALL MESSAGES in the Opera Mail panel with the right mouse button (or hold down Control while clicking).
- If you cannot see Spam, click the wrench that appears next to ALL MESSAGES when you move the mouse over it and select Customize | Spam from the menu that comes up.
- Select Propterties… from the menu.
- Go to the Rules tab.
- Click Add Rule.
- Make sure From header Contains is selected beneath Match messages in:.
- Type the email address (or domain name) you want to block in the text field following Contains.
- Click Close.
To make Opera mark a certain sender's mail read automatically and not have their messages show up under Unread:
- Open a message from the sender you wish to filter.
- Click the contact's name or address under From.
- Select Ignore Contact from the menu to make sure it is checked.
(Updated December 2011)