To avoid downloading large messages and attachments in Netscape, specify a message size limit. This is a per account setting, so you have to repeat it for every account.
- Select Tools | Account Settings... from the menu.
- In Mozilla and Netscape, select Edit | Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings....
- Go to the Offline & Disk Space (for IMAP accounts) or Disk Space (for POP accounts) sub-category of the email account.
- Make sure Do not download messages locally that are larger than __ KB is selected.
- Enter a maximum message size.
- The standard 50 KB are a reasonable value.
- Click OK