Make sure, though, that you visit the Junk folder from time to time and that you correct false classifications both in this folder and in your Inbox with pedantic meticulousness.
Move Spam to the Junk Folder Automatically in Mozilla Thunderbird
To make Mozilla Thunderbird file junk mail to a separate folder automatically:
- Select Tools | Account Settings... from the menu.
- Go to the Junk Settings category beneath the desired account.
- Make sure Move new junk messages to: is checked.
- Specify the desired folder.
- Sticking with the default — the account's Junk folder — usually works fine.
- Click OK.
Move Spam to the Junk Folder Automatically in Mozilla Thunderbird 1, Mozilla 1 or Netscape
To have Mozilla Thunderbird, Netscape or Mozilla move spam to the Junk folder automatically:
- Select Tools | Junk Mail Controls... from the menu.
- Make sure you have enabled the spam filter for your account.
- Now make sure Move incoming messages determined to be junk mail to: is selected.
- Specify the folder where Netscape or Mozilla should put spam.
- It's usually best to stick with the default: the Junk folder under the same account.
- Click OK.
If you don't like the idea of Mozilla Thunderbird, Netscape or Mozilla moving around your mail, you can still profit from its spam filter by hiding spam from a folder.