Set Up an Autoresponder in Mac OS X Mail
To have Mac OS X Mail send automatic replies on your behalf:
- Select Mail | Preferences… from the menu in Mac OS X Mail.
- Go to the Rules category.
- Click Add Rule.
- Give your autoresponder a descriptive name under Description:.
- The criterion lays down what messages Mail will send a reply to automatically. You may select a special Subject line, for example, or a specific To: address under If any [or] all of the following conditions are met:.
- Select Reply to Message under Perform the following actions:.
- Now click on Reply message text… to enter the text to be used for your reply.
- Finally, click OK.
- If prompted Do you want to apply your rules to messages in selected mailboxes?, select Don't Apply.
- Close the Rules dialog.
Auto-Reply Without Quoting
Note that replies generated using this auto-responder method will include not only the original message text but also original file attachments. You can use an AppleScript auto-responder to avoid this.
(Updated August 2011)