In Mac OS X Mail; you don't have to. With favorite folders, you can switch between your most-used mailboxes fast — and without using the mouse or seeing any lists.
Set Up Favorite Folders in Mac OS X Mail
To build a list of favorite folders in Mac OS X Mail:
- Make sure the Favorites bar is visible.
- Select View | Show Favorites Bar from the menu if it is not.
- Now make sure the mailbox list is visible, too.
- Click Show to the very left in the Favorites bar if it is not.
- Drag and drop and folder you want to make a favorite to the Favorites bar.
Open Favorite Folders Fast in Mac OS X Mail
To visit a folder favorite quickly in Mac OS X Mail:
- Press Command-1 for the first folder from the left on your Favorites bar.
Use Command-2 for the second folder, Command-3 for the third and so on until Command-9 for the ninth folder.
Folders after the ninth are not accessible via a keyboard shortcut.
- Make sure the Favorites bar is visible (see above).
- Click the desired mailbox.
Mac OS X Mail also offers keyboard shortcuts for moving messages to your favorite folders.
(Updated July 2011)