The Bottom Line
- OMiC makes ms-tnef winmail.dat attachments just work in Mac OS X Mail
- All included files and rich-text message text appear as attachments ready for use
- OMiC works with emails in winmail.dat attachments as well and converts Outlook schedules for iCal
- OMiC does not show RTF message text (converted to HTML) as the default content
- OMiC adds ms-tnef winmail.dat attachment handling to Mac OS X Mail.
- All files included in winmail.dat attachments appear under "Attachments" ready for use.
- OMiC converts Outlook meetings and tasks for use in iCal and contact information for Address Book.
- OMiC supports Mac OS X 10.3/4.
Guide Review - OMiC 1.7.7 - Winmail.dat Decoding Mac OS X Mail Add-On
OMiC is very convenient — because you will hardly notice it. Winmail.dat attachments still appear in messages, but so do all the files normally hidden inside them. They're neatly lined up under Attachments, as well they should be.
OMiC extracts the richly formatted message parts (also hidden inside winmail.dat) as well and makes them available as RTF files which can be opened in TextEdit, for example. Showing them in the message area as the rich-text alternative might be even better, of course.
As far as attached files go, nothing seems to catch OMiC off balance. It can even extract and make available forwarded emails and converts Outlook's appointments and schedules for easy use with iCal.