But the web interface still feels slow, clumsy and lightweight compared to what you know from Windows Live Mail. And collecting all your email accounts — including AIM Mail — in one application, wouldn't that be great?
It will be. Setting up AIM Mail in Windows Live Mail takes but a few steps.
Access AIM Mail in Windows Live Mail
To set up an AIM Mail account in Windows Live Mail for sending and receiving emails:
- Go to Mail under Shortcuts in Windows Live Mail.
- Click Add an e-mail account at the bottom of the list.
- Type your name under Your name:.
- Enter your AIM Mail address under E-mail address:.
- Make sure Automatically determine my login ID is checked.
- Type your AIM Mail password under Password:.
- Make sure Manually configure server settings for e-mail account. is checked.
- Click Next >.
- Make sure IMAP is selected under My incoming mail server is a ___ server..
- Type "imap.aim.com" under Incoming server:.
- Enter "smtp.aim.com" under Outgoing Server:.
- Make sure My outgoing server requires authentication is checked.
- Click Next >.
- Click Finish.
- Click OK after Windows Live Mail has downloaded the list of folders in your AIM Mail account.
- Click on the Aim account in the folder list with your right mouse button.
- Select Properties from the menu.
- Go to the IMAP tab.
- Make sure Store special folders on IMAP server is not checked.
- Click OK.
- Now, optionally, right-click on the Sent Items, Junk E-mail and Deleted Items folders, select Delete from the menu and click OK to delete folders superfluously created by Windows Live Mail.