Fortunately, you can make iPhone Mail show you are bare minimum — only the most recent 25 emails and no message body previews — quickly and without much network traffic.
Make iPhone Mail Load Faster
To get to the most recent messages faster in iPhone Mail:
- Tap Settings on your iPhone's Home screen.
- Go to Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
- Tap Show __ Recent Messages under Mail.
- Make sure 25 Recent Messages is selected.
- Optionally, disable message body preview (iPhone Mail will display senders and subjects even before having downloaded the necessary body content to preview, but disabling previews altogether makes folders snappy and usable faster):
- Tap Mail... to get back to the Mail, Contacts, Calend... screen.
- Now tap Preview under Mail.
- Make sure None is selected.
- Press the Home button.