Whether you tapped an email by mistake, iPhone Mail opened it automatically after you deleted another or you just want to keep a message highlighted: it's pretty easy to mark individual emails unread.
Mark Email Unread in iPhone Mail
To mark an email message in iPhone Mail or iPad Mail as unread:
- Tap the flag button in the message's toolbar.
- Select Mark as Unread from the menu that appears.
To mark as unread (or read) multiple messages in iPhone Mail:
- Go to the folder that contains the messages you want to mark unread or read.
- Tap Edit in the top right.
- Now tap all the messages you want to mark read or unread so that white-on-red checkmarks appear in front of them.
- Tap Mark in the lower right corner.
- Select Mark as Unread to mark the checked emails as unread
- Select Mark as Read to mark the selected messages as read.
Mark Email Unread in iPhone Mail 5
To mark as unread an individual email in iPhone Mail:
- Tap Mark while reading the desired message.
- If you cannot see Mark below the email's subject and to the right, tap Details before.
- Select Mark as Unread from the menu.
Mark Email Unread in iPhone Mail 1-4
To mark a message as unread in iPhone Mail:
- Tap the message to open it.
- Now tap Details if visible.
- Tap Mark as Unread.
- Make sure Mark as Unread is now gray (as opposed to web site link-blue).
(Updated September 2012)