Let's take a look at what to do with the latter. Of course, you can also use Gmail's importing saved rules to move your own filters from one account to another, or to restore an archived copy.
Import and Recover Gmail Filters
To import Gmail rules from a saved "mailFilters.xml" file:
- Make sure Filter Import/Export is enabled.
- Select Settings in Gmail.
- Go to the Filters tab.
- Click Import filters.
- Select the desired rules file (called "mailFilters.xml" by default) using Choose File.
- Click Open file.
- Uncheck all filters you do not want to import.
- Importing a filter already present will not cause any problems. No duplicate rule will be created.
- Click Create filters.