Use Drag-and-Drop to Move Messages in Gmail
To move an email to a label (removing the message from the current view, except from All Mail) in Gmail:
- Click the handle (a double, dotted, vertical line) just in front of the message you want to move.
- To move multiple messages, make sure they are all checked, then grab any selected message's handle.
- Hold the mouse button while dragging the message to the desired label.
- If the label to which you want to move is not visible, point to the more link below the label list until all labels appear.
- Release the mouse button.
By dragging and dropping, you can:
- Mark as spam: drag to the Spam label.
- Archive: drag to the All Mail label.
- Delete: drag to the Trash label.
- Star: drag to the Starred label (keeping in mind this will remove the message from the current view).
Use Drag-and-Drop to Label Messages in Gmail
To apply any custom label to a message in Gmail by dragging and dropping:
- To label more than one message, make sure all the messages are checked.
- Click on the desired label, keeping the mouse button down.
- If you cannot see the desired label, click more below the label list first.
- Note that you can only drag and drop custom labels, not system labels such as Starred and Inbox.
- Drag the label to the message you want to label or one of the checked messages.
- Let go of the mouse button.