Now, of course, you have to organize your labels. To organize labels, Gmail's labels are pretty useful: you can nest them like folders, after all, in a hierarchy of labels.
Set Up Gmail Subfolders and Nested Labels
To create a subfolder or nested label in Gmail:
- Click the gear in Gmail's top right corner.
- Follow the Mail settings link in the menu that comes up.
- Go to the Labels tab.
- To create a new nested label:
- Click Create new label under Labels.
- Type the new label's desired name under Please enter a new label name:.
- To move an existing label beneath another label:
- Click edit under Actions for the label you want to move.
- Make sure Nest label under: is checked in the New Label or Edit Label dialog.
- Pick the label under which you want the label to reside from the Please select a parent… menu.
- Click Create or Save.
A parent label will become bold when any of its sub-labels contains an unread message.
(Updated September 2011)