No longer! It's easy to upload all your mail to Gmail from Windows Mail or Outlook Express.
Import You Mail from Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail or Outlook Express in Gmail
To import your email message from Windows Mail or Outlook Express into Gmail:
- Set up Gmail as an IMAP account in Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail or in Outlook Express.
- Go the the folder containing the messages you want to copy to Gmail.
- Highlight all messages you want to import.
- Press Ctrl-A after selecting one message to highlight all.
- Holding down the Ctrl key, drag the messages onto the desired folder in the Gmail account and drop them.
- To import messages you have received into the Gmail archive, drop them onto the [Gmail]/All Mail folder.
- To import messages you have received to the Gmail inbox, choose the Inbox folder.
- To make the imported messages appear in a Gmail label, pick the folder named like the label.
- To import sent mail, target the [Gmail]/Sent Mail folder.
As an alternative — a clumsy alternative — you can also import your messages via Mozilla Thunderbird:
- Download and install Mozilla Thunderbird.
- Import your Outlook Express mail into Mozilla Thunderbird.
- Copy the messages from Mozilla Thunderbird to Gmail.
Finally, in Gmail, you can archive all the newly arrived emails:
- Type "label:unread" in the search box and click Search Mail.
- Click unread under Select:.
- Select Archive from the More Actions drop-down menu.
- Now select Mark as read from More Actions.