If you have a Google Voice number, it can forward not only to your phones but also to Gmail chat. You can then pick up the phone and talk right in Gmail.
Receive Phone Calls in Gmail
To receive phone calls through Google Voice in Gmail:
- Make sure Google voice and video chat is installed.
- Place at least one phone call from Gmail.
- Follow the Settings link in Google Voice.
- Go to the Phones tab.
- Make sure Google chat is checked under Forwards to:.
- Click Save changes.
When somebody calls your Google Voice number, Gmail will ring an Incoming call alert.
- Click Answer to pick up the phone.
- Click Screen to send the call to voicemail; click Join, then, to answer the call at any time.
- Click Ignore to close the alert without answering.