So, over the air it is — locally or maybe globally over the net. With Google Cloud Print, Gmail can go the latter route and send the printout of a message on your phone over the Internet to a printer in your home.
Print from Gmail Mobile
To print an email from Gmail mobile (in iOS Safari, for instance):
- Make sure you have a printer connected to Google Cloud Print.
- See below for enabling Google Cloud Print and adding printers.
- Open the conversation you want to print in Gmail mobile.
- Select the double down-pointing angle brackets icon.
- Choose Print from the menu.
- Highlight the desired printer from the list.
- Don't worry if the selected printer is currently offline. Google Cloud Print will remember the job and send it the printer as soon as it is available.
- Choose Print.
Connect a Printer to Google Cloud Print
To add a printer for printing through Google Cloud Print:
- Make sure you use a supported browser.
- Currently, Google Cloud Print works with Google Chrome 9 or later under Windows and Mac OS X.
- If you use Windows XP, make sure the Microsoft XPS Essentials Pack is installed.
- Click the wrench icon in Google Chrome.
- Select Preferences… or Options from the menu.
- Go to the Under the Hood tab.
- Click Sign in to Google Cloud Print under Google Cloud Print.
- Enter your Gmail address under Email:.
- Type your Gmail password under Password:.
- Click Sign in.
- Click Finish printer registration
(Updated October 2011)