Will you be able to export chat logs created and kept at Gmail in a convenient format, something akin to IMAP? You will, right now.
Gmail can turn your instant messaging conversations into threads of emails — available conveniently for Download anywhere via IMAP.
Download Gmail Chat Logs via IMAP
To access and export Gmail and Google Talk chat logs using an email program:
- Make sure IMAP access is enabled for your Gmail account.
- Click the gear in Gmail's top right corner.
- Select Mail settings from the menu that comes up.
- Go to the Labels tab.
- Make sure Show in IMAP is checked for Chats under System Labels.
- Set up Gmail via IMAP in your favorite email program.
- Look for chat logs in the [Gmail]/Chats folder.
Note that, while you can copy the chat transcripts from the [Gmail]/Chats folder, you cannot import them to a different Gmail account by copying to that account's [Gmail]/Chats folder.
(Updated September 2011)