The Bottom Line
- GAlert notifies you about new mail in multiple Gmail accounts
- You can look for new messages in certain labels using GAlert
- GAlert can alert you about Google News and act as a kind of RSS feed reader, too
- GAlert cannot open, delete or mark as spam messages
- For following Google News or custom RSS feeds, GAlert is not the tool of choice
- GAlert could give an overview of new messages in addition to showing them one by one
- GAlert displays alerts for new messages in multiple Gmail accounts.
- You can watch only specific labels in your Gmail account with GAlert.
- GAlert can use a different color for each account or label.
- New mail is announced with a skinnable pop-up window and using customizable sound.
- You can go to your Gmail Inbox or the message composition screen directly from GAlert.
- GAlert can also make a Gmail account your default mailto: link handler.
- GAlert supports Windows 98/Me/NT/2000/3/XP/Vista.
Guide Review - GAlert 2.5 - Gmail Mail Checker
Thanks to skins, GAlert can accommodate to your idea of stylish to some extent, and it is a sweet little Gmail checker for multiple Gmail accounts with support for labels, too. Of course, GAlert can announce new messages using sound in addition to skinned pop-ups, lets you create a new message in Gmail with a few clicks and can make Gmail the default email service for email (mailto:) links as well.
It's a pity this interactivity does not extend to the GAlert alerts themselves. You can cycle through the announced messages or close the notification, but you cannot start a reply, mark a message as spam, archive or even open it. For multiple emails coming at once, a concise overview in addition to (or in exchange for) showing them one by one might be nice.
You can use GAlert to show alerts about new results for Google News searches (or even use this functionality as a kind of RSS feed reader, albeit it won't parse perfectly), but that appears to be a bit of an afterthought.
As a label-conscious and multiple account-happy Gmail checker, GAlert can't be beaten, however.