The Bottom Line
- psGmail lets you access Gmail accounts with any email client using POP
- You can specify which messages (all, unread, spam,...) you want to receive
- psGmail has new mail announcements and lets you send mail, too
- psGmail does not offer an IMAP interface to Gmail
- Options can't be set on a per-account basis
- psGmail's many settings can be a bit confusing at first
- psGmail lets you access Gmail accounts with any POP email program.
- You can specify which kind of mail (unread, all, spam,...) you want psGmail to retrieve.
- In addition to standard Gmail categories you can use custom labels or even keyword and date filters.
- After downloading mail, psGmail can delete or archive it, mark it read or do nothing.
- psGmail also offers an SMTP service that allows you to send mail and replies.
- Using MSN Messenger-style pop-ups, psGmail announces new mail in Gmail accounts.
- psGmail supports Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/3/XP.
Guide Review - psGmail 1.2.3
Still, there can be occasions where having the messages arrive at your Gmail account in your favorite desktop email client would be beneficial. What's more, you could then use the editing capabilities of that email client instead of your browser's meager features. With psGmail, you can have both.
Working as a seamless POP proxy, psGmail makes the messages in multiple Gmail accounts accessible via POP for any email program. You can even choose which kind of messages you want to download — only unread messages, for example, or starred mail, sent messages or everything. The options are flexible including even keyword and date-based filters, and you can also tell psGmail what to do with mail that has been retrieved, from archiving it to deleting it immediately. psGmail makes available SMTP services as well so you can send emails and replies comfortably with it, having a copy placed in your Gmail account.
The protocol that's missing from psGmail is IMAP. A transparent interface that turns Gmail into an IMAP account would be great. It would also be nice if psGmail would let you set a few of the options on a per-account basis. As an additional feature, psGmail can check for and announce new messages periodically.
Of course, you can also use psGmail as Gmail mail checker only.