The Bottom Line
Inbox.com not only gives you 5 GB to store your mail online but also a highly polished, fast and functional way to access it via either the web (including speedy search, free-form labels and reading mail by conversation) or through POP in your email program.
Unfortunately, IMAP access is not supported by Inbox.com, and its tools for organizing mail could be improved with smart or self-teaching folders. The browser toolbar needed to active the account and, in some countries, cell phone verification can be nuisances.
- Inbox.com offers 5 GB of online mailbox space as well as POP access
- The fast web interface includes rich text editing, threading and free-form labels
- Inbox.com includes solid spam and virus filtering
- Inbox.com does not offer IMAP access and lacks smart folders for automatic organization
- To active your account, you have to install a browser toolbar and may need a cell phone
- Inbox.com does not support encrypted mail and digital signatures
- Inbox.com offers free web-based email with 5 GB (US/CA/UK) or 2 GB online storage and POP access.
- You can organize mail using stars, custom folders, free labels and filters.
- Inbox.com filters spam using varying aggressiveness or a challenge/response mechanism.
- Remote images in emails can be blocked from automatic download to protect your privacy.
- Inbox.com lets you view mail in threads and supports rich HTML formatting in outgoing messages.
- You can send messages up to a size of 30 MB.
- For a fee, Inbox.com offers up to 30 GB storage and daily backups.
- Email integrates to some degree with Inbox.com calendar, notes, file storage and photo galleries.