Typically, final deletion does not happen until you manually compact a folder. Not so with Eudora. Eudora can purge deleted messages in a somewhat intelligent manner that combines the speed of merely hiding messages with the finality and space-consciousness of purging them. When at least one out of every five messages in a mailbox is deleted, for example, Eudora automatically purges the discarded.
Compact IMAP Folders Automatically in Eudora
To make Eudora purge deleted messages in IMAP folders automatically when a certain threshold is reached:
- Select Tools | Personalities from the menu.
- Click on the desired IMAP account with the right mouse button.
- Select Properties.
- Go to the Incoming Mail tab.
- Make sure When __ % of messages are deleted is selected under Automatically purge deleted messages:.
- The standard 20 % is usually a reasonable number.
- Click OK.