It's easy. In a matter of copying a few files, you will be up, running and AOL-ing again.
Recover Mail and Other AOL Data from a "Saved on My PC" Backup
To recover mail and other AOL data from a Saved on My PC backup:
- Log on to AOL with your screen name at least once.
- Make sure AOL is not currently running.
- Search your computer for a file called "(your AOL screen name).abi".
- If your screen name is "myscreenname", for example, search for a file called "myscreenname.abi".
- You should find it in a folder called organize. A typical location is "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\organize". You can go to this folder directly, too.
- Go up one directory, to the C_America Online 9.0 folder.
- For other versions of AOL, the folder name may be different. In any case, go up one directory from the organize folder.
- Rename the organize folder "organize.save".
- Go up another directory.
- Open the folder containing the backup copy of your old organize folder in a new Explorer window.
- Highlight the backup organize folder.
- Press Ctrl-C.
- Switch to the AOL folder window.
- Highlight C-America Online 9.0 or whatever the folder containing the organize.save folder is called on your system.
- Press Ctrl-V.
- Log on to AOL.
- If everything is back in place, delete the organize.save folder.