Need an answer right now? And your contact is online, you guess, logged into AIM?
AIM Mail and AOL Mail on the Web are AIM, Too
In AIM Mail or AOL Mail, you can not only send emails and attachments with which the recipient can deal whenever they prefer. You can also instantly message everybody connected to AIM — provided you know their screen name, of course.
How to Chat with Somebody in AIM Mail or AOL Mail
To engage in an instant messaging conversation in AIM Mail or AOL Mail:
Ensure you are signed in to AIM:
- Make sure the AIM panel is visible.
- To show the right-hand panels, click the left arrow at AIM Mail or AOL Mail's right border.
- Go to the AIM panel.
- If AIM is not visible, click the down arrow of a panel's header and select AIM.
- Click Sign In if you are not yet online.
Optionally, connect AIM Mail to Facebook so you can chat with Facebook friends right in AIM Mail or AOL Mail:
- Click the down arrow next to your status in the AIM panel.
- Select Set up Facebook Chat from the menu.
- Click Connect.
- Now click Allow Chat.
- Click Allow for Allow Constant Authorization. to set up Facebook chat in AIM Mail or AOL Mail permanently.
- Now click Close.
Locate the contact:
- From the AIM panel:
- Click on the desired contact's screen name.
- From an email the desired contact sent:
- Open the message.
- Position the mouse cursor over the sender's name or email address.
- If a box containing the running AIM man icon appears, click on it.
- From AIM Mail or AOL Mail Contacts:
- Click on the contact's (personal or generic) icon.
- From the People panel:
- Position the mouse cursor over the desired contact.
- Click IM.
Send your messages:
- Type away.
- Hit Enter or click Send to send.
- Hit Shift-Enter to start a new line within a message.