It's a pity each seems to require a separate site to visit. Wouldn't it be nice to have an email service visit the networks instead, consolidating all the updates into one convenient stream?
AIM Mail and AOL Mail can do just that; tell it which of the many supported sites and services (from Facebook to Twitter to foursquare and Flickr) you frequent, and you can follow updates in a single place called Lifestream — right in the email service.
Collect Your Social Updates and Post Universally in AIM Mail or AOL Mail
To connect AIM Mail to Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Flickr, foursquare and other social networking and media or location sharing sites:
- Open your AOL Lifestream settings.
- Click Add for the service you want to connect to AIM Mail or AOL Mail.
- Log in to the service and authorize AOL Lifestream access.
- If prompted, click Skip to avoid publishing a post announcing your using AOL Lifestream to the service just connected; choose Publish to post the story.
- Pick the desired privacy level under Share these updates with for the newly added service:
- No one - Private to aggregate updates from the service only for yourself;
- My Buddies on AIM to allow your AIM instant messaging contacts to see your — even private — posts from the service; and
- Everyone - Public to make updates visible to the world. Note that some services (Facebook, for instance) do not support that latter global level. You can only share private posts from these services with your buddies at the most.
- Click Finished.
To view aggregated updates from connected social networking and sharing sites in AIM Mail or AOL Mail:
- Open the AIM panel and make sure you are signed in to the chat service.
- Go to the Lifestream tab.
- Click the down arrow in the Lifestream tab header to filter updates; you can show just photos, your own posts, videos or only updates from a particular service, for example.
In addition to showing your updates, AIM Mail and AOL Mail also let you post to aggregated service, of course, comment and like.