The Bottom Line
MailMate only works only with IMAP, though, and it does not offer a what-you-see-is-what-you-get editor for sending rich-text messages. A tad more polish and some help composing messages in addition to organizing them would be nice.
- MailMate lets you organize and find mail with precision; search terms auto-complete to boot
- Handy and mindful keyboard shortcuts make handling mail a sweetly fleeting joy
- Growl, Notification Center and multiple counters for Dock icon and menu bar announce mail with effective style
- MailMate works only with IMAP accounts, and rich-text sending requires use of the Markdown makeup language (which is easy)
- Some corners and nooks still need polishing
- MailMate lacks flexible message templates and free-form labels
- MailMate lets you access multiple IMAP email accounts with unified folders on- and offline.
- In addition to swift search, MailMate offers smart folders that can look for finely grained criteria in nested combination.
- MailMate finds related messages fast as well; organizing them in arced threads, MailMate can also display their relations.
- Colored flags help you organize mail. Via IMAP, the flags and colors typically (depending on the server) synchronize with OS X Mail.
- Ubiquitous (and endlessly customizable) keyboard shortcuts let you operate MailMate fast and efficiently.
- If you have multiple signatures set up, MailMate picks its best bet based on what you've used in the past; you can also specify a special signature for replies instead.
- New messages (in any mailbox or smart folder) can be announced using Growl and Notification Center as well as MailMate's Dock icon and the menu bar.
- Using Mac OS X text substitution, MailMate can insert snippets of oft-used text and phrases fast.
- Markdown support lets you send emails that look good in both plain text and with formatting.
- You can take MailMate full screen to concentrate on your mail.
- Support for SpamSieve affords MailMate accurate spam filtering.
- Using S/MIME and OpenPGP, MailMate can send and receive messages that are encrypted or digitally signed for security.
- MailMate supports Mac OS X 10.5/6/7.