Fortunately, Yahoo! Mail can be configured not to download such images automatically. When you open a message containing remote images, Yahoo! Mail will show a blank space instead, protecting your privacy, and preserving bandwidth.
Protect Your Privacy Against Web-Bugs and Remote Images in Yahoo! Mail
To have Yahoo! Mail not show remote and hidden images by default:
- Select Options | Mail Options in Yahoo! Mail.
- Go to the Spam category.
- Make sure either Show images only from my contacts and certified senders or Initially block all images is selected under Block images:.
- The latter choice is the most secure. It is usually safe to have images in messages from known and certified senders displayed automatically, though.
- Click Save Changes.
Protect Your Privacy Against Web-Bugs and Remote Images in Yahoo! Mail Classic
To protect your privacy against remote and hidden images in Yahoo! Mail Classic:
- Follow the Options link in the Yahoo! Mail Classic toolbar.
- Select General Preferences.
- Under Messages, make sure Block HTML graphics in email messages from being downloaded is selected.
- Use the Save button to save your settings.
Of course, you can still read selected messages including remote images.